Monday, May 10, 2010

Learning and Living the Gospel

• Give a family home evening lesson on Joseph Smith’s First Vision (see Joseph Smith—History 1:1–20). Discuss how Heavenly Father answers our sincere prayers. 

My experience - so me and Mark did a Family Home Evening together which was good because we do have them just not too long or with a purpose its normally just being together. So having something spiritual was perfect and something we need to improve on together. You always know to do them with children but when your on your own its harder I think

Well we looked at JSH 1:1-20 which was probably some of the best verses of scripture the thing I noticed was Joseph had a deep desire that he carried through even though he had confusion and lots of questions he was dilligent in seeking out the answer. He obviously pondered over the scriptures as thats where he found his answer to "ask of God". So we continued reading and it was lovely to feel the spirit when Joseph got his answer and was visited by Heavenly Father and Jesus. I explained to Mark why this event happened as we dont get answers like that. 

So the question was How Heavenly Father answers our sincere prayers. He answered Josephs because he sought for the answer he pondered and studied the scriptures. He answers our prayers Mark said through the Holy Ghost, by personal revelation and through others service in following their own promptings. I added that Joseph got answers by studying the scriptures and I have got many answers to my prayers by the scriptures. 

This led me to say that Joseph Smith didnt know the answers to things so the Lord showed him just like Nephi when he built a boat - Nephi didnt know how to build a boad but as he previously confirmed in (1 NEPHI 3:7) he would do what the Lord commanded him because he would always show them the way. Laman and Lemuel complained when Nephi wanted to build a Boat (1 NEPHI 17: 8 onwards).  Nephi even asked the Lord how should I build it? and The Lord showed him where to get the tools and materials. 

I noticed also that Nephi was worthy whilst he was asking for these answers as he kept the commandments. Joseph was in a worthy family too as they were good christians. Humble and kind they were a good family and Joseph was chosen to recieve this because he simply - studied prayed and asked with all sincerity of heart and he got a wonderful answer. What a blessing as if he hadnt done this we would not be here today. 

I reflected on this and thought what can we do to be more worthy? Our Stake President spoke at a ward conference yesterday at church and told if the Lord hasnt answered a prayer its because we are either not asking the right thing or we are not getting the answer we expect and dont fully realise his will for us. I understand that I think that was for me and Mark! 

So we sat down and asked ourselves and reminded ourselves what we need to do including fasting and going to the temple more often, and doing our fhe more!! I testified that Josephs experience was true and that I was so thankful being so young followed his promptings and asked in faith. I love Joseph Smith not just for that but the way he lived his whole life and I was glad to experience the spirits witness again of how wonderful he lived in a life of service to the Lord.

Much love,

Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment