Thursday, May 13, 2010

Serving Others

• Plan, prepare, and serve a nutritious meal. 

So as my husband was out home teaching I decided to prepare a meal that was healthy and something we havnt had before. I thought what havnt we had and had thoughts to make. RISOTTO! its healthy and I knew it would be tasty with stock. I always wanted to use the limes I bought (theres a lush wrap recipe that you use lime for - but we didnt have wraps oh well!) I went onto Google.com as you do and typed "cheap and healthy risotto" and came up with THIS (click here)


So I didnt want to add cheese and I didnt add Broccoli but I sorta made do with what we had and what I wanted to add so here is the ingredients

Ingredients
  • 1/2 liter vegetable stock (or put that much water in with 2-3 veg oxo cubes)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 300g long grain rice (your supposed to use risotto rice :)
  • 2 carrots chopped finely
  • 1/2  swede peeled and chopped finely
  • 2 chicken breasts defrosted and cut in cubes
  • 1 lime
Ok so Method - I USED ALOT OF PANS! (my mum would kill me)


Method



1.  Pour the stock into a large pan and bring to simmer, leave on a low heat. Grate in the whole lime zest.


2.  Put carrot and swede together in a seperate pan cover with water, add a little lime juice.


3. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over a medium heat until golden and softened. Add the garlic and rice and cook for a further minute.


4.  Add a ladleful of the hot stock and boil until the liquid has been absorbed. Pour in half of the remaining stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed, stirring from time to time.


5.  Whilst 3 and 4 is going on start to cook the chicken add a little lime juice to a little oil with this - once the carrots and swede are mostly cooked through add the water and veg to the chicken to boil. Add a little more lime juice and a little salt (like a pinch) 


6. you should by now only have two large pans on your stove one with the rice mixture and one with the chicken/veg/stock.


7. Once the stock is nearly absorbed add the two pans or wok (whatever is biggest) together and add any left over lime juice (I also added flesh of the lime) 


8. Give it 5 mins to all come together nicely remember to check your rice that it is cooked correctly, and seasoned properly. I added a pinch of salt at the end.


9. Serve and enjoy!

Verdict - My husband loved it and asked if we could make it a weekly meal. I certainly won him over. The only thing is I over cooked the onion a little as it cooked quick but hey Im not a chef and I think I did a pretty good job adding things. I was impressed myself thinking I would do a bad job as Husband is way better than me at cooking. I can cook I just prefer not to. Well Ill show you a picture of proof that I cooked and the meal at its end. I was quite impressed with myself and it wasnt overpowered with lime taste, the garlic and stock helped this. For us this was a really healthy meal and I was glad to make it :) Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment