Monday, May 10, 2010

Learning and Living the Gospel

• Read a recent conference address given by the prophet. Decide what you can do to follow the prophet, and do it. 

I listened to the Prophets closing words at last conference in April and thought do I really listen to what he says in closing remarks? I should but usually I am really tired by the end of conference and sort of think oh hes just rounding up. So I thought no I am wrong in thinking this way this is THE PROPHET he always has important things to say so I just sat down and listened and read over what he said in closing - How beautful it was I will share the main points I thought he said beautifully and council he gave to us.

'“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6"

"Remember that the messages we have heard during this conference will be printed in the May issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines. I urge you to study the messages, to ponder their teachings, and then to apply them in your life."

"My counsel for all of us is to look to the lighthouse of the Lord. There is no fog so dense, no night so dark, no gale so strong, no mariner so lost but what its beacon light can rescue. It beckons through the storms of life. The lighthouse of the Lord sends forth signals readily recognized and never failing. 
I love the words found in Psalms: “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; … I will call upon the Lord … so [I shall] be saved from mine enemies.”

And the most wonderful - "May the messages and spirit of this conference find expression in all that you do—in your homes, in your work, in your meetings, and in all your comings and goings"

I love the words FIND EXPRESSION - it doesnt mean speak it he means EXPRESS IT. So the things I can do to follow the Lord is 

1) Trust in the Lord always - no matter what not think Im right when he clearly know whats right for ME and my family

2) Study the messages from other speakers and apply them - I have so many I love I will just include my fave quote from conference and will come back with more articles I love - Sister Julie B Beck said at the same conference-

"Good women always have a desire to know if they are succeeding. In a world where the measures of success are often distorted, it is important to seek appreciation and affirmation from proper sources. To paraphrase a list found in Preach My Gospel, we are doing well when we develop attributes of Christ and strive to obey His gospel with exactness. We are doing well when we seek to improve ourselves and do our best. We are doing well when we increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help others who are in need. We know we are successful if we live so that we qualify for, receive, and know how to follow the Spirit. When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. We can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when we feel the Spirit working through us. Peace, joy, and hope are available to those who measure success properly."

Isnt that just the most AMAZING quote? I love it I sought for so long to have praise from people and do good for people telling me how good I was. Recently in my calling in Stake I have learned to grow and serve because the spirit is felt, more strongly even than at any other time, when I am doing my very best and when something is completed I have been asked to do. It isnt easy but I love the feeling I get that I have pleased the Lord in his service I just cant describe it - it is everything Sister Beck says. Joy, peace and pure hope. 

3) Look to the lighthouse of the Lord - look to him to show me the way. That I may EXPRESS the things I learn from conference. I will study a few articles and try to put that into my life.

So from that simple 6 minute message I learned at least 3 important things I need to do - me thinks I will take more notice next time. I love the Prophet and the Lord - lesson learned :) 

Much Love

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment